My friend Thora is originally from Canada. I met her several years ago, when we both lived in Acapulco, Mexico. Her name translates as "thunder goddess." ⛈️
I see the fulfillment of her name in the free way she guides and lives her life. I love how aware she is of her surroundings in Peru, where she now resides and is quarantined. Learn more about Thora at her website, Feast for Freedom.
In the video below, Thora shares a perspective of the Coronavirus lockdown that is not considered or covered by mainstream news, even a little bit. It is one of many news deserts, and here are some of its highlights:
* When the state of medical emergency was declared, all civil rights were suspended.
* As of this writing, the total CV deaths in Peru are 484... but 51,000+ people have been arrested for violating the curfew in its first month of implementation. (Is that disproportion not alarming to you?)
* There are fines for not wearing masks. If the fines are not paid, banking privileges can be suspended.
* Blame and tension has risen between Northern and Southern regions in Peru. (Somewhat similarly, Africans in China are enduring xenophobia.)
* Social media comments of dissent are being massively deleted, so that honest expressions of lack and suffering are "sanitized." Removed, censored, and silenced.
* More people are migrating from highly censored platforms like Youtube and Google, to platforms that support free speech like BitChute and LBRY.
There are countless attempts to alter/altar* our "reality," and to control our perception of it. Big respect to both these women, for showing a broader perspective, that holds all human life in high regard.
TWO QUESTIONS FOR YOU:
(1) How does this Peruvian experience compare to where you are in the world? (2) What is your favorite/most trusted source of news and media?
(* That multi-dimensional spelling is intentional.)
The question "How are you?" is PROFOUND.
But it has been watered-down to a synonym for "Hello."
Forced or fake auto-responses of obligated okay-ness are expected.
(And if you are going through something tragic, it really doesn't matter! Every social encounter OPENS with this well-established Ritual of Insincerity.)
The question "How are you?" prompts an answer that begins with "I AM _____________."
This means many times each day, you are invited to SPEAK THE MOST POWERFUL STATEMENT that can be spoken of yourself.
And the socially-expected thing to do, is be QUICK + SLICK with your answer.
For a change... TAKE YOUR TIME, and tell your truth. ✍🏾