We are wired with a longing to be witnessed. Children say, "Mom, look at me!" We post on social media and say, "Friends/colleagues, look at me!" And there is an actual correlation between virtual "Likes," and released feel-good neurohormones, like oxytocin. Social media and neuroscience has provided a lot of data about this human craving we have to be seen and affirmed.
But our innermost part requires something more than screen-deep. Some souls do, anyway. Are you one? If so, with a trusted listener, try the following three steps to move anything forward:
- Know What Needs Moving. What is it, exactly, that you want to move forward? Be as clear about this as you can because, sometimes, 'confusion' is really just a great place to hide-out... which is fine... until you TIRE OF HIDING. Take delight + responsibility in knowing WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL FULLY ALIVE. Admit you want what you want, and do not allow your dream to be shrunken by someone who just can't get it.
A big goal or dream is usually a moving target. As we pursue it, both the dream + the dreamer evolve which, I believe, is the entire point of this human experience: to evolve into the wisest, most creative, loving Beings we can possibly embody. So don't be afraid to name a large dream just because you think it may be too spectacular to attain at this very moment. Just give it sound right now. SOUND CONCEIVES.
- Translate Your Tremble. You need to have skin in your own game. If the stakes aren't high enough, it's easy to underachieve + even protect your own limits. Sneaky self-sabotage. So, to ensure you are "all in," give voice to the scariest part that's attached to your dream, or that's obstructing the thing that needs moving.
Pull out the part that makes you tremble and, as best you can, say that thing out loud. Your first telling removes its stinger. Your second telling makes it your pet. Your third telling, of the thing that used to make you tremble, is exactly what someone else needed to get through a tough time. Congratulations, you are now paying Good Stuff forward!
- Nurture, Don't Fret. Everyday, add layers of detail, specificity AND SWEAT to your dream, or to the stuck thing you're intent to move. It keeps stress down to just expect that the details will morph over time. Messy morphing is life's objective, not life's nuisance. (Morphing/transformation is) not the thing to get over, it's the thing to dive into!
Confession IS good for the soul. Not necessarily in a religious way, but in a human way. Confession, at its root, is acknowledgment. And in a culture that is so repressed, guarded and inhibited, most of us have been DIScouraged from acknowledging our strong feelings, and our true dreams. This is unhealthy, and it causes real suffering on many levels. Passions are to be expressed, not sanitized and silenced. Do you need a witness? I am here for you. BOOK A DISCRETE, COMPASSIONATE, LAVISH LISTENING SESSION WITH ME.
Cannabis + Flow
What are your thoughts... about the article... about lavish listening... about whatever else that feels important to you? I'd love to know. Stay tuned for updates on Sativa Yoga™.
* species will we drive to extinction?
* ecosystems will we devastate?
* personal dreams will we abort or deny?
* human rites of passage will we commodify beyond recognition or usefulness?
* years will we, as a nation, continue to lead the world in trash + prisons?
* surface-skimming cursory conversations of zero consequence will we tolerate?
* of our heartfelt stories will we leave untold?
If this message feels true to you, would you PLEASE SHARE IT WITH OTHERS? Thank you!